Accident forgiveness is a common marketing program offered by many insurance providers. What is it? How can it help you?
Some auto insurance providers offer this type of feature on their plans. It doesn’t necessarily cost more and it may not be available from all providers. In short, it means that insurance providers will overlook some rate increases for some types of accidents.
How Does Accident Insurance Work?
Accident forgiveness may mean that a simple accident doesn’t increase your insurance cost. Accidents happen to many safe drivers even in good driving conditions.
Generally, when an accident occurs, the insurer views the driver as a higher risk. This is especially true in situations where the insurer must pay out a claim for repairs or damages. The more claims a driver has, the more expensive auto insurance can become.
With an accident forgiveness component to an insurance policy, this might not happen. Good drivers – those who have not had a lot of accidents or moving violations – may not warrant a higher premium cost. Here are some key features:
- Accident forgiveness is available from numerous insurers across some states.
- It applies in situations where you are the at-fault driver in an accident. This means you are responsible for the incident.
- Generally, it only applies to your first claim.
- Some insurers offer this coverage across all drivers listed on the car insurance policy. This may even include your teen driver.
- However, most policies offer forgiveness for a single incident per policy (not per driver).
- Some companies will extend this policy option to others who have had at least five years’ of driving experience without any type of accident.
Why is this beneficial to you? You can avoid the higher premiums when you have to file a claim. Most car insurance companies will increase rates even after that first accident if you do not have an accident forgiveness component on your plan.
Ready to get this type of coverage? The first step is to find out if your existing car insurance plan offers it. When comparing insurance plans, ask for this type of coverage. It may help you to save money over the life of your insurance policy by avoiding increased premiums.
We can help you choose the best auto insurance to cover all your risks. You can also call us today at (716) 688-5115 for more a Buffalo NY auto insurance quote.